Many people in their visit to our dental clinic in Pune have asked whether they can use turmeric as a natural teeth whitener. Turmeric is a well-known spice with origins and roots in Asia. Over the years, people used it as a healing and herbal remedy by Ayurvedic doctors and women in the kitchen. Today, turmeric is a famous home treatment agent for various minor health problems. But, in recent research, people came across its teeth whitening feature.
In this blog, we will find out the benefits of turmeric as a teeth whitening agent.
Does turmeric whiten teeth?
People, who believe more in creating DIY toothpaste, use turmeric as an ingredient in a mixture of baking soda, coconut oil, and mint extract. The yellow pigment in turmeric is intense in color, but does it work as a teeth whitening agent? It’s fun experimenting with various natural ingredients and getting excellent results. But, it's always safe to use clinically proven toothpaste for an effective,safe, and brightened smile.
What are the benefits of turmeric as a teeth whitening agent?
Following are the benefits of turmeric over dental health:
● Reduces the swelling and irritation due to Gingivitis (inflammation of gums) and
Periodontitis (Inflammation of tissues supporting teeth)
● When applied locally, it can offer some relaxation to tooth pain.
● It can be an alternate solution to anti-inflammatory drugs.
● It helps remove plaque responsible for tooth decay due to its antimicrobial properties.
● Its antioxidant properties help with controlling and terminating chemotherapy-resistant cancer cells seen in Oral Cancer.
How to use turmeric to improve dental health?
Here are some effective ways to use turmeric to improve your dental health:
● Massage aching teeth with warm, ground turmeric to reduce pain and swelling of root canal treatment, a tooth removal, or dental implant.
● Make turmeric water by boiling 5g of turmeric powder, two cloves, and two ground leaves of guava in 200g water. Let it cool. Rinse your mouth with this water to get instant relief from dental problems.
● Make a paste by mixing 1 tsp. of turmeric with ½ tsp. of salt and ½ tsp. of mustard oil. Rub this paste twice daily on gums and teeth for relief from the symptoms of gingivitis and periodontitis.
Note: Turmeric stains the teeth and turns them yellowish, so use regular toothpaste to remove the stain regularly.
Turmeric as a spice is a healthy ingredient to prevent various health ailments. However, one must be careful with turmeric supplements as it is a concentrated form of curcumin. Talk to our expert dentist in Pune to get more insights on teeth whitening treatment and effective results.
When to avoid a turmeric supplement?
Due to its highly concentrated form of curcumin, doctors ask patients to avoid turmeric as a teeth whitening agent during:
● Before heading towards a surgery
● Gall bladder disorders
● Gastrointestinal disorders
Visit Dev’s Oral Care to know more about dental treatments and teeth whitening treatment options.
Our well-accomplished and diligent team of certified dental experts shall guide you with the right
treatment to reclaim your brightened, healthy smile.