A gap between your teeth due to a missing tooth can put a lot on stake than an incomplete smile. Once in their life, every individual looks into the mirror and thought of revamping their smile appearance and getting rid of a missing tooth, decayed teeth, or stained and discoloured teeth. A missing tooth is not just a cosmetic issue. If left untreated, it can weaken the gum and roots of adjacent teeth, cause gum disease, and becomes a threat to other healthy teeth.
The Consequences of Missing Tooth
The adulthood starts with a set of full 32 teeth, comprising incisors, canines, premolars, and molars. However, at the age of 40-65, many teeth fall out, as a sign of aging. But, many patients lose teeth due to accidental trauma, injury, periodontitis, or decayed tooth. A missing tooth can feel uncomfortable and, at times, embarrassing. But besides cosmetic concerns, tooth loss can also be harmful to your dental health. Here are a few consequences that may arise due to a missing tooth:
- Misplaced Teeth: When you have a complete set of teeth, they keep each other aligned and connected to the jawbone. A missing tooth affects this alignment and risks the possibility of teeth shifting. It means the teeth shift to fill the gap of the missing tooth. This condition leads to underbite, overbite, gum disease, tooth decay, and loss of multiple teeth.
- Change in Facial Appearance: Your teeth make the jawbone healthy. Losing one of these can lead to the sagging jawbone, and wrinkled face, making you look older. Did you know? Every aspect of your facial structure is intertwined. Loss of one tooth can unstabilize the position of other teeth and drooping muscles over time. Replacing the missing tooth/teeth uplifts your facial structure and restores a healthy smile.
- Mentally Affects Your Health: A missing tooth may look cute during childhood, but as an adult, it can put you in really embarrassing situations, especially while addressing people in public. A hole in your smile is all that people will notice, which is not empowering during the first impression. It starts taking a toll on your career, relationship, job opportunities, and social life, which sometimes get irritating. Leaving behind the worldly things, a missing tooth can give you a hard time chewing your favourite food. You will suffer overbite, underbite, or painful bite, which again is not at all pleasing.
- TMJ Disorder: TMJ or Temporomandibular joints refer to the muscles on the side of your head that help you chew and rotate the jaw. A tooth loss can disrupt the connection between the facial muscles and TMJ, resulting in a lot of physical pain and discomfort.
By replacing the missing tooth with the most advanced dental technology at Dev’s Oral Care, you can quickly act on maintaining a healthy, glowing, and brightened smile.
Causes of Tooth loss
Following are the reasons that may lead to a loss of a tooth:
- Cavities: Most of the cavities occur on molars and premolars. It is often caused due to improper brushing, flossing, or eating sugary items without maintaining proper oral hygiene.
- Periodontitis is often caused by inflammation of the teeth’ deeper structures, such as periodontal ligament, jawbone, and Cementum.
- Gingivitis: An inflammation that occurs on the surface of the gums, around, and between the crowns of your teeth. It is caused due to excessive build-up of plaque and tartar on your tooth surface.
- Plaque: It refers to a sticky, colourless film caused due to bacteria and sugary food particles. Plaque is formed immediately after you eat something sweet and forget brushing or flossing your mouth.
- Tartar: If the plaque is not addressed correctly, on time, it turns into tartar, which needs a professional dental cleaning procedure to get it removed.
- Overbite and Underbite: A tooth replacement is mandatory when the patient is suffering from overbite due to their tooth protruding outward or inward.
Every Tooth Matters
All teeth are essential for a healthy smile appearance. A missing tooth creates a gap between the teeth, and the patient may find it difficult to chew food, speak properly, or smile confidently. Also, there can be severe consequences due to the gap formed between two teeth, such as:
- Shifting the bite pressure onto other teeth
- Plaque build-ups in places that are hard to clean while brushing
- Deterioration of bones around the missing teeth
- Difficulty talking or pronouncing a word
- A visible gap can turn into an identity crisis and can lower your self-esteem
What are my tooth replacement options?
By this time, you have an idea of why tooth replacement is essential. Visit our best dentist in Pune, and they will examine your oral health to determine the best-suited tooth replacement procedure. Some of the tooth replacement options are:
- Dental Implants: Dental implants in Pune are very common to replace a fallen tooth. They are an ideal option for dental bridges and dentures. They feel and look like your natural teeth and are often suggested to patients looking for a replacement of a single tooth.
- An implant is a small titanium post that your doctor will fix in the bone socket of your missing tooth. Once you have healed completely, the jawbone starts recreating around the teeth to hold it for an improved bite formation firmly.
- Fixed Bridges: A dental bridge is suggested to patients looking for multiple teeth replacement. The bridge gets support from implants or teeth surrounding the gap. Sometimes, bridges can also be used above the implants for a faster healing process. Bridges are made of metal and covered with porcelain and can form black lines at the end of the rim. For a quality experience, try all-ceramic bridges, which look and feel like natural teeth.
- Full Dentures: Also known as conventional dentures, a complete denture procedure involves replacing the upper and lower teeth. They may feel awkward for the first few weeks and require a little practice of eating, chewing, and brushing without hurting the surgical region.
- Cosmetic Dentures: It refers to a complete set of dental treatments required to reshape the patient’s teeth, give them a glowing smile, and remove any flaws. Visit the best cosmetic dentist to get it done. At Dev’s Oral Care, we offer a complete package of tooth replacement treatment which includes, teeth cleaning, whitening, tooth replacement, and dentures to straighten the teeth and improvise its aesthetic appeal.
To learn more about our dental services and procedure, we request you to take a tour of our website and bring back the queries. We serve world-class treatment for patients of all ages. Call us and schedule your appointment. We practice hygiene and WHO standard of safety and precautions to ensure our patients are in safe hands.